Tuesday, April 19, 2011

IS IT HOT IN HERE?

I did something today I haven't done in a long time. 

The air conditioner at work went out and we have hundreds of thousands of dollars of wine that needs to stay cool.  I was put in charge of making sure the repair man got there in a timely manner.  I made the call and he walked through the door.  Fuck me, he was hot.  We introduced ourselves and shook hands.  His name was Dennis.  He was about 6'4" with a full head of salt and pepper short cropped hair and built like the guy above.  He was sporting a mustache and goatee similiar to my own.  He looked to be about 50.  Sweet as a warm summer breeze.  Polite and making some crazy eye contact.  I was melting and kept going to the back room to chat and find out how things were going. I got him a step ladder and when we talked his ass was right at eye level.  He kept giving me the oddest looks the whole time.  Quizzical.  He had to leave and get a new motor in South San Francisco. Damn! I guess you have to change the filter more often than every six months.  He returned and finished up and I asked for his card.  He was still giving me the odd look.  No ring.  We shook hands and he told me to call him if we had any problems.  I gave him a bottle of Pinot Noir and he blushed.  I was thinking about calling him later and asking him out.  Thought about it all afternoon.  Debating how unprofessional it might be.  How uncool it might be.  I hate dates.  What if he's not gay?  Should I just see if he wanted to go for a beer?  Straight guy shit.  I can't seem to do the gay date or the straight guy thing.  Well, I was in the back receiving a wine order and noticed that there was water everywhere on the floor.  Oops, gotta call Dennis. 
"Hi Dennis, blah, blah, blah, explanation, etc."
He explained how the lines froze and were melting and evidently there was more ice in there than he thought.  He told me to shut off the AC system and let the fan go until it all thawed out. 
"So, Dennis, would you like to go for a beer sometime when you're here on the coast."
"Uh, are you asking me out for a date?"
"Yeah, I guess  am."
"So, you are gay?"
"Yeah."
"I was trying to figure it out all day."
"Is that why were giving me the weird looks all day?"
"Was I?"
"So, whadda ya say?"
"Well, I'm really flattered cause you're really handsome, but I'm kinda with someone."
Kinda??
"Well, if you change your mind or if you just need a friend, give me a call.  I'd love to get to know you better."
"Yeah." Pause.  "Can you call me tomorrow and let me know how the AC's doing?"
"Sure."
"Talk to you tomorrow."
"Bye."
Well, at least I tried.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

BRAVO!!!!!
you know what they say MM, nothing ventured, nothing gained. since you're "out" and do not have to risk the whole exposure thing, there's no reason not to act instinctively within the bounds of professional propriety. sounds to me like you handled it very well.
there IS a way to make an overture to a man even if he is str8 that isn't threatening or offensive. I know. I do it all the time. My gaydar is usually very reliable but the last time it malfunctioned, the guy told me he was flattered.
so keep it up MM...literally and figuratively. LOL.
cheers!

miracleman said...

Thanks Rugby. I still don't even know if he's gay. Is it a man or a woman that he's 'kinda' with. So, tell me your secret for making an overture to a man without being threatening or offensive. I have no problem with intimacy. It's the hurdles you have to jump to get there that give me so much grief.

Anonymous said...

I would never have the guts to ask him out so more power to you MM. I would just think about him with my pants down.
KCGUY