Tuesday, December 07, 2010

AT THE BARRE
This is a reposting of a previous post that I didn't want to completely delete, but has been phished by some asshole. Hopefully I will stop getting his damn spam now.
I adore the male form. I especially adore the male form in action and nothing gets me more excited in my soul (and loins) than watching a group of male dancers in movement. Towards the end of this post are photos of the Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake, featuring male dancer, Adam Cooper. Adam was the actor and dancer at the end of Billy Elliot, (one my favorite films) who is Billy all grown up. I loved this production and have watched it several times. When I was around seven years old my mother took my sister to ballet classes. She was fourteen months younger than me and my mother would drop me off with her. I would sit off to the side, watching as my sister received dance instructions. I longed to be up there with her. When we got home my parents would want a demonstration of what my sister had learned in ballet and she would attmpt to show them. I remember jumping up when she made a wrong move, showing her how it was done. My parents didn't get it. Or at least they refused to even consider that path for me. I later took many dance classes and danced in several musicals. I was lead bottle dancer in Fiddler on the Roof and we never broke a single bottle in performance; we broke several in rehearsal though. I watch all the dance shows on television. I always wonder how different my life would have been if my parents had actually encouraged my actual talents. There are also pictures of one of my earliest dance crushes, Mikael Barishnikov.

No comments: